6/19/2013

Tattooed Elephants

     We were fishing with people I had never met in an unfamiliar place. Only deciding what to say next. 

     We all try to catch things that are bigger than us. 

     Fish, People. 

     We wear t shirts with names of places we've never been to.
And the worst part is - that we think we deserve to see those places. 
     We think we deserve to see Hawaii because it's printed on our backs, a stained souvineer from grandma in '09. 

     If you were printed on my back that'd be weird. And you probably wouldn't like me anymore. 

     We smelt like camp fire for the rest of the night and the man next to me at the movie leaned over to his wife to ask if we were smokers. 
I didn't mind the smell of the smoke because I smelt the same as you. 

     And I like you.  

     But you know those tattoos we got at the carnival won't stay for more than 3-5 days, unless we don't shower. 

     So I'd like a stained t shirt with your name on it. So when this is all over, I have something to remind me that there was someone so good that I thought I deserved. 

     Because I once did. 

3 comments:

  1. That was unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!

    Welcome to the summer blog series, Madeline. This is a fantastic piece. Some great, powerful, specific images here. The t-shirts, the smoke, the tattoos.

    And, oh, I get it. Because elephants are good at remembering. Nice.

    Favorite line: We all try to catch things that are bigger than us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We wear t shirts with names of places we've never been to.
    And the worst part is - that we think we deserve to see those places.

    I just threw away 3 T-shirts

    ReplyDelete

please let me know what you think.