7/11/2013

You AGAIN(st) Me

   When I was younger I believed that if my Mom had a baby boy; My two sisters and I would never play with barbies again. I believed that there was a seal and a mermaid that lived in the irrigation pond next to Grandmas, and I believed that glow in the dark pajamas could protect me.

     I was gap toothed and could count to as many fingers as I had, I gave a boy that I liked a drawing of himself in an orange shirt.
     I knew that it was love because whenever I chased him during recess he would always let me tie him up to the tether ball pole with no problem.

     I'm now 16 and believe that I can take on whatever this world throws at me, a 1 and a 6 are nothing but numbers describing how long I have have lived in this house.
     And you?

     You are the definition of a lover, a boy that never cared for anything other than his last name and the coast of California by which he came from.
     Because Californians are supposedly more smart and beautiful.

     I knew that I'd love you again.
     I keep putting dead batteries in the drawer, and taking them back out to use, thinking that they're new.

     But now I'm the one that is being tied to the tether ball pole.
     And I no longer have my glow in the dark pajamas to protect me.

5 comments:

  1. This was my childhood.
    But, It was a gorilla in my grandpa's basement for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dead batteries line is so good. I mean, like, it's really good. It's a good line. I love the line. The image. How it says so much more than just what it's saying.

    I mean, the rest of it was good...but that line...

    Have I mentioned that I liked the dead batteries line?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this is fantastic. Especially the last four or so lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your writing. stalking? yes.

    ReplyDelete

please let me know what you think.